Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Is Winning Boring?

No, of course winning isn't boring.  Winning is awesome, fun, and addictive.   We know that because of how much losing blows.  I will offer the idea though that winning teams can be Bo-RING!!  Let's look at the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens.  That team is by no stretch of the imagination an exciting team.  Up and down their roster they don't have a superstar.  Joe Flacco is about as exciting as watching paint dry, but he's a good QB.  I said good, because in my opinion he's not great.  Yes, he's now a Super Bowl winner and MVP.  However, that's because he had one good playoff run where he made very few mistakes.  He's NOT a great regular season QB.  That's where my issue with Flacco is.  He's not consistent every Sunday.  He's not a Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees.  You can't expect him to carry the Ravens on any given Sunday.  It's not gonna happen.  He WILL have a clunker every other week.  That's why I say the Ravens BADLY overpaid him after the Super Bowl win.  He's now one of the top 3 highest paid QBs in the league, and I don't think the Ravens will consistently get the return on investment they are expecting.  Now, back to winning though.  The Ravens have been in the playoffs 5 straight years because they are consistent and keep winning, but they don't have the excitement of the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Giants, or Saints.  They know how to win, but they aren't fun to watch.  So winning can be boring, in a sense.  I would also look at the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA.  Now, they do have superstar power on their roster with Tony Parker and Tim Duncan...but every time I watch a Spurs game, I'm bored!  I don't know what it is, but they are not exciting to watch as a basketball fan.   Yeah, they keep on winning too, but they don't bring any excitement to the game.  They just win, and then show's over.  Boring.   Speaking of the Spurs, they are now going to be taking on the polar opposite of boring in the NBA with the much polarized Miami Heat led by LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh.  There's two very different styles of basketball on the biggest stage.   It should be a very good series with a lot of championship experience in the series, and I'm hoping that the Spurs bore all of us again with another championship because I'd much rather see the Spurs win than the Heat.  I will even go so far as to put in writing my official BOLD prediction...Spurs WIN the NBA Finals in 6 games!  The Heat just look like they have run out of gas after the series with the Pacers and the Spurs have looked like the best team in the playoffs.   Spurs in 6, let's do this.  Now that prediction is not boring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment